Arfsxm activity and Projects
Pet Assistance Program
This program was put into place to help animals by providing some of the very basic items they need, like shelter, water or food bowls, collars and leashes, traps to capture feral animals for sterilization etc. If you think an animal needs help because their guardian is not providing for them, please contact Arfsxm.
Adoption and Foster Care Program
We always need homes for homeless animals, whether it is temporary or permanent. Until an animal shelter is constructed on the island, those animals need help from you.
If you know of an animal who is being abused, please read what to do on our Report Animal Cruelty.
We were doing TNR also with the cats of the the Pelican Resort and Sonesta Hotel. But in August 2006 the Pelican Management and the Sonesta Hotel in 2008 all of sudden called y the other Animal Welfare foundation to pick up all the Marina cats. The AW trapped almost all the feral cats who were all healthy and sterilized and brought them, without our knowledge, to be euthanized at the veterinarian clinic in Cay Hill.
Projects approved and funded by AMFO:
Community Assessment - Planning of the Humane Movement ANG 15,945.
Community Awareness - Knowledge of importance of Animal Sterilization ANG 83,395.
- More intensive spaying/neutering programs. Many people are reluctant to have their animal spayed or neutered due to lack of finances or lack of Knowledge, programs to provide free clinics need to be improved or created, in order to be successful, the spaying and neutering ratio must maintain a minimum of 70%. Any less is considered failure and animal overpopulation will continue to exist.
- Trap, Neuter and Release (TNR). Animals who have been abandoned and left to fend for them, need to be trapped, neutered and either returned or adopted. A concentrated effort on T/N/R (trap, neuter and release) needs to be put in place. ARF took example from www.alleycat.org For this type of program, we need cooperation with government, local veterinarians and volunteers.
- Become active with Best Friends Animas Society who believe that killing the animals is just plain wrong. The time has come to bring an end to the routine killing of healthy dogs and cats simply because they do not have a home. Back in the 1970's more than 17 million homeless, abused, and abandoned dogs and cats were being put to death in shelters around the United States each year. Since then. Best Friends has become the flagship of a movement that seeks to bring an end to the killing. www.bestfriends.org
- Develop more aggressive adoption programs. More aggressive adoption programs need to be developed. Even tourists can be encouraged to take home a loveable pet. Local adoptions must be encouraged versus importing from puppy mills. Shelter animals give just as much love, if not more, than other breeds, ideas like "Furburbia" where animals are brought to a storefront, or cooperation from government to develop such storefronts would be needed.
- Education and Training Programs. ARFSXM volunteers goes once a year to a local school to talk about animal care. There are many people on the island who have animals, but do not know or understand how to properly care for, feed, and handle animals. Many people still chain their animal 24 hours per day; seven days a week which is cruel ! But the guardian many not realize this. As the days become years, many of these dogs sit, lay, defecate, and eat within the same 10-foot radius. Chained by the neck, they exist without respect, love, exercise, social interaction, and sometimes even basic nourishment. They live as prisoners, yet long to be pets. They deserve better! Visit www.dogsdeservebetter.com
- Develop campaigns to involve community. Publicity and media campaigns have to be more consistent to involve the community in improving the situation for the animals. Having a hands-on, action-oriented, photographable project is very important. The more events, press conferences, and 'real' things happening, the better!
- Animal Sanctuary and Shelter. Land for a sanctuary/shelter has been donated by Government. With a sanctuary animals can be retrieved from the streets, and brought back to healthy status, ready for adoption. Arfsxm needs funds to build an animal shelter on Dutch Site.